The 21-year-old footballer was due to face trial in November over allegations of attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour.
However, a statement issued by Greater Manchester Police on Tuesday said the case has now been dropped. Greenwood has not played for United since being suspended by the club in January 2022.
“Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this,” Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said.
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.”