Home>Basketball>Sluggish Second Half Sinks LTU

Sluggish Second Half Sinks LTU

Fort Wayne, Ind. – The Lawrence Technological University men’s basketball team traveled to Fort Wayne, Indiana to take on the Warriors of Indiana Tech University. In a competitive game where both teams matched up well with each other, LTU struggled late in the second half as they came up short by a final score of 70-54.

Andrew Rinn led his team in scoring off the bench with a career-high 22 points and five rebounds. Brandon Beavers pitched in 15 points, seven boards, and three assists.

The Blue Devils could not get anything going early in the opening minutes of action, but Beavers was able to convert on a layup through traffic.

The Warriors started this game on a 7-2 run in the first five minutes of play.

After LTU settled in, Rinn and Beavers scored back-to-back buckets, cutting the lead back to two.

The Blue Devils were forced to call a timeout after the Warriors went on a run to make it 14-7 with 13:25 left to play in the first half.

Rinn connected on a floater, and Alek Ivanovic followed up his basket up with a three-pointer making it 16-14.

Gunnar Gustafson was able to get things going midway through the first half after his layup.

IIT would answer on the other end off a Grant Smith layup with 7:59 to play.

Making it a 25-22 game was Carter Frantz after his step back jumper over a defender.

Corey Mckinney was able to get inside the paint for a quick bunny, extending the Warriors lead to 31-22 with under five to go.

The Blue Devils could not buy a basket in the last five minutes, only making two field goals off two Rinn three-balls.

LTU entered the half down 35-28.

LTU shot the ball 10-of-30 (33.3%) from the field, 4-of-11 (36.4%) from deep, and 5-of-7 (71.4%) from the line.

Beavers started things off with a steal and Isaiah Cumberland came down in transition nailing a three to open up the second half. 

A Stein layup made it 43-37 with 14:51 left before Sanna Sisawo came back down and drilled a huge three-ball for LTU. 

Beavers then followed up with a three of his own minutes later, knotting the game at 43.

Rinn found a gap, spun, and finished at the rim at the 12:26 mark.

With 11:21 left in the game, IIT went on a 6-0 run from Stein and Blake Davison back-to-back three-pointers to put the Warriors up seven.

After the timeout, the Blue Devils went 0-for-3 from the field in the next three minutes until Rinn found the bottom of the net on his floater.

The next time down Rinn made an elbow pull-up jumper cutting the deficit to 59-49 with just under seven to go.

Sisawo’s putback and Stein’s layup kept it a ten-point game with 4:55 remaining.

LTU struggled to find any baskets down in the remaining minutes as IIT was able to pull away, converting on consecutive baskets to secure the victory by a final score of 70-54.

LTU shot the ball 20-of-57 (35.1%) from the field, 7-of-23 (30.4%) from three, and 7-of-13 (53.8%) from the line.

The next Blue Devils’ (8-5) matchup is at home when they take on Eureka University on Friday, December 17th at 7 PM.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *